WIKIPEDIA says, ” Pottery is the material from which the potteryware is made, of which major types include earthenware, stoneware and porcelain. The place where such wares are made is also called a pottery (plural “potteries”). Pottery also refers to the art or craft of the potter or the manufacture of pottery.”
This article features the last bit of Wikipedia‘s definition – Pottery as a hobby.
Pottery was an essential life skill in age old yesteryears. Most of the living depended in this activity not just as an occupation but also to run the daily chores. With industrialization and modernization pottery has been placed as an art form, a hobby.
Apparatus for Pottery
For those who feel working with clay is fun, pottery will definitely be a choice. The basic apparatus required to pursue pottery are:
- Water to moist the clay
- Potter’s wheel: The electronic potter’s wheel has replaced the conventional wheel
- Metallic wire to cut clay
- Rolling pin for other clay related crafts
- Table or platform with a smooth surface
- Enough room to store your creations
- Kiln: this is a rare possession for those who pursue pottery as a part time avenue. There are common kilns available on rent, which can be used once we have enough articles to fire.
Some useful resources to know more about this hobby.