For those who can’t afford to go through a regular course, at a regular college, yet want to pursue education and gain a degree, distant education is perfect choice! Distance education is also referred to as ‘education by correspondence’. Distance education in India is governed by Distance Education Council (DEC).
Who chooses distance education?
Everyone cannot afford to join a regular college due to time constraints, family obligations, gender discrimination or lack of monetary support. For such people India has many courses to offer through distance education. Sometimes for various other reasons a student drops out of a regular college. Such discontinuation could be renewed by a distance course.
What should be my approach when I choose a correspondence course?
This is more challenging than a regular course. In a regular course, students get the support of tutors all the time, engaged in various college affiliated networks to share knowledge and also have the support of placement cells.
In a correspondence course our five senses have to be open to draw information from any where and everywhere. Typically, students are supported with study material, counselors, contact classes and online help. These elements are very basic for a student to groom into an industry person. To gain all that a regular student receives, try to adopt the following:
- Read more books, apart from your study material.
- Engage with a mentor who can connect you with the upcoming trends, pertinent to your course.
- Chalk out a plan to explore new things for each subject.
- Join networks that talk about your course topics
- Create or join a group of like minded people who are pursuing your course. Exchange thoughts, ideas and knowledge with each other.
- Participate in contests and fests at a college close to your locality.
Share this article with your friends who are facing trouble, while pursuing a correspondence course. All the best folks!
Here is a link to colleges in India that offer distance education: http://www.indiastudycenter.com/univ/distance-education.asp